10.25.2005




first meeting with naidir rahiji[thesis advisor @ penn]. here is what he said[assuming that i have gone overboard in explaining my thesis idea to you already....roommates complain that i am too verbose]:

-he said that i have a very promising proposal and that the amount of information that i have included was enough to be able to give a good response--apparently the other thesis students didn't but we all had weird schedules over the summer
-he said that the readings and references that i was pursuing were beneficial and he got excited and suggested around 4 more readings to look at
-i'm going to have to give 2 versions of my paper to him by Nov. 22 because at that point i should be planning and preparing for the presentation on dec. 2 to the commitee and other penn students--power point
-since i am focusing on the diagram as my vehicle for understanding, i should start working on the visual representation and studies as soon as possible--don't have too much access to the photos and other mappings that i did over the summer, but hope to have them back again soon....didn't copy the negatives.
-he was over-all impressed with my proposal and said that of the other thesis proposals, mine was actually a project that was not only dealing with contemporary architectural issues, but was also the most valid for a discourse in architecture(i.e. i wasn't just proposing putting a building somewhere, i was thoughtfully considering both the theoretical aspects that i wanted to look into and the project itself was thoughtful and appropriate to the theory--he said that the other students had just proposed a building at some site without really thinking about the project itself or the theory of the design behind it)
i was kind of weirded out that he told me all of this, since i don't want to compare my project to theirs since we are all doing something different...but i can't lie that i was a little pleased about have my professor being personally interested in my project and having such a positive response about it! --ps. that's me on the stool...the paper...my thesis...

in other news: I'm going to New Mexico(chaco canyon/mesa verde) for 5 days with one of my classes here....SUPER DUPER PUMPED!!! YEAH!!!
No requirements while there...but still going to try to take some time for sketching and photography....i'll be sure to post them when i get back.
looking forward to a little bit of hiking, warm weather, working on my tan--sort of, seeing a really cool landscape, sleeping at a ranch....etc!!
not looking forward to having to be at the airport by 5am to catch the plain at 6am...not so much...

SORRY that i haven't updated until now....i keep trying to download pictures/projects that i'm working on and then when i'm unsuccessful i save the drafts and then never end up posting...i'll do better....

song of the day: "i'm so excited, that i just can't hide it....."

3 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger kris said...

God I don't envy you - I admire you for sticking to this! :)

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger kris said...

are you still in that thesis meeting? It's been DAYS . . .

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger ekeith said...

sorry sweetie....my internet connection at home has been really crappy, and i was out of town for a couple of days....i hope the inclusion of all the photos makes up for my time off!! I'll stay on track...promise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home